HANDS UP – WHO LOVES A SPA TREATMENT?!
I know it can be a challenge at the best of times to carve out half a day or even an hour just to pop into a day spa and enjoy some much deserved pampering. However we cannot deny that treatments can do wonders for our skin, not to mention our mind, body and soul. A chance to escape from reality and drift away…just for that moment.
If you feel spa treatments are a little too self-indulgent but would still like to have a little me time while having a good skin treatment, face masks at home are your prescription.
In this week’s blog, I share with you the best face masks you should stock up in your bathroom so you have one for every special occasion or emergency! You may have also heard of Multi-Masking which is using different types of mask for different areas of your face depending on its specific needs…so have fun experimenting!
In no particular order:
BRIGHTENING OR REVITALISING MASKS
These masks tend to have arginine, arbutin, citric acid or kojic acid which gives a brightening effect.
Use this after being in the sun too long to help reduce pigmentation or when you want to brighten your skin for a big event or even for days when you don’t wear makeup.
Korres Wild Rose + Vitamin C Advanced Sleeping Facial
– Rich in Vitamin C, this mask has a mild peeling and lightening effect on the skin, leading to more vibrant skin. It works best if you have discoloration, melasma, or anti-ageing concerns.
ZO Skin Health Skin Brightening Mask
– A brightening sheet mask which you can easily pop into your travel bag. Contains arbutin, green tea and retinol to brighten, firm and tighten the skin.
These masks contain ingredients to firm the skin, including a whole host of antioxidants and vitamins to nourish the skin and perfect as part of an anti-ageing skin routine.
Great to use if you feel your skin is slightly lax and would like to firm up before a big event.
Resilience Lift Extreme Ultra Firming Mask by Estee Lauder
– Affordable mask which is lightweight but after it is left to dry, helps to firm up the skin.
Valmont Renewing Pack: Cellular Anti-Stress Face Treatment
– At the luxury end of the scale, Valmont’s products are all known for their supreme anti-ageing properties and Swiss laboratory formulas.
A hydrating mask restores moisture balance. These typically contain emollients, humectants and moisturisers that will deliver water molecules on to the skin surface.
Use this whenever your skin feels dry, perfect for when you’re on the plane or the first week of your period when your skin is slightly drier.
Vitage Age Defence Hydrating Mask
– Provides a moisture surge for dry and dull complexions.
These masks often contain anti-inflammatory ingredients, like chamomile, aloe vera or green tea, which may help soothe for those with conditions like acne or dry skin.
Use at the end of the day, especially after being in the sun, or if you have sensitive skin and feel slightly flushed or red.
Yes To Cucumbers Calming Face Mask for Sensitive Skin
– Cucumbers are known to be cooling so this is great to put in the fridge for extra cooling effect.
The Body Shop Aloe Protective Restoring Mask
– I love Aloe Vera, my mother used to grow them in our back garden and we would use it for cuts, sores and burns.
CLARIFYING OR CLEARING MASKS
These masks can contain elements like sulfur, clay, mandelic acid, citric acid or vitamin C that has an anti-acne effect for skin. It helps to reduce inflammation and excessive oil production of the skin and even detox the skin so it feels clean and fresh.
Use this whenever you feel your skin is slightly oily, if you’re about to break out or if you want to make sure your acne-prone skin behaves itself before a big event. You can also use this as a spot treatment for bigger spots.
Epoch Glacial Marine Mud
– One of my favourite products! Doesn’t over-dry the skin and will leave skin so soft and smooth, your pore sizes are guaranteed to look smaller too.
ZO Skin Health Bio-Sulfur Masque
– Super strong, has a medicinal smell and it stains white sheets or clothes so be careful when you use it. However, it’s very very effective!
SKIN RENEWING MASKS
These masks contains enzymes or glycolic acids which helps to break down the bonds between cells, and therefore have a slight peeling effect, stripping away debris and dead skin.
Use if you have flaking, clogged pores, dull skin, or anti-ageing concerns. Perfect to use when there is a change of season and you want to give your skin a boost.
Philosophy Microdelivery One-Minute Purifying Peel Mask
– Gentle yet effective.
Ren Glycolactic Skin Renewal Peel Mask
– Slight tingle and I advise to test on your arm if you have sensitive skin. Using this once a week is a great way to keep your skin clear and bright.
And that’s it…6 types of masks you should stock up in your bathroom for any skin emergency, any change of season or weather!
Over to you….what’s your favourite face mask and when do you best use them?
Please leave any questions or comments in the section below.
Until next time, here’s to your beautiful glowing skin.